martedì 10 settembre 2013

What to do with a stray ball of sock yarn? Make a slouch hat!

If you have an odd ball of sock weight yarn hanging around, preferably either self-striping (like mine) or one of those that makes a fake fair isle pattern, then you can make this hat in an evening or two while watching your favorite TV show!

I used a USA 6 circular needle, and a set of USA 6 dpns. The gauge over stocking stitch is 6 stitches per inch. The row gauge is not important.

I cast on 120 stitches on the circular needle, joined and worked 2x2 ribbing for 1.5". On the next round I increased 40 stitches (k3m1 x 40) and continued  in stockinette stitch for about 2".

Then I started decreasing 8 stitches every 5th round
round 1 (k18 k2tog x 8)
round s 2-4 knit across
round 5 (k17 k2tog x 8)
rounds 6-8 knit across
etc.


I continued in this sequence for about 3.5", total length from cast- on, about 7"
Then I decreased 8 stitches every other round twice, following the same sequence. To finish off, I switched to the dpns and continued, decreasing 8 stitches every round until 8 stitches remained. On the last round I decreased an additional 4 stitches by knitting 2tog to end of round. I put the 4 remaining stitches on one of the dpns and worked an Icord for about 1.5". I closed off the Icord, wove in the ends and tied the piece of Icord into a Top-Knot (play on words!)

Have fun!

please let me know if you find any errors!

Nessun commento: