mercoledì 9 novembre 2011

Orange ya glad I didn't say banana??

Ok, ok.. lousy post title, but that silly old "knock, knock" joke came to mind since I am in a very orange frame of mind! You know the one: Knock, knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, Knock, Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, knock. Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Knock, knock. WHO'S THERE? Orange. Orange who? ORANGE YA GLAD I DIDN'T SAY BANANA????

I just love this yarn by Ornaghi Filati. It is called "Land" and it is a soft and fluffy blend of 50% virgin wool, 40% Acrylic and 10% Alpaca that you knit with a large needle.The other day I was in my favorite yarn shop in Lucca (Lovilane) and asked what colours they had this yarn IN. When they showed me the orange I just had to have it! It reminded me of the delicious Creamsicles I used to get after lunch in grade school.
Once I got it home, I decided to use the double basket pattern from Barbara Walkers Treasury of Knitting to make a neck warmer/cowl. Hopefully I will have enough yarn to make it long enough to wear it doubled around the neck (and if not, I can always buy more!) and buttoned.
Now... I almost invariably put the cart before the horse and so I have already dug around in my button collection to see what I could come up with. Here goes:

 This is a great art deco button, almost surely in bakelite! I found it in my husband's cousin's button box this fall and I absolutely love it!
 This one is a vintage button - I am not sure of the year. I got it in a RAK (randon act of kindness) package from a Ravelry friend.
 This button is from my friend Serenella's button boxes (yes she has more than one!) It is probably from 1940 or 1950 and is super big and chunky!
 These two caramel coloured buttons are probably vintage 1960s.
And.. drum roll... last but not least, this gread MOD Flower Power upcycled 1960s metal flower created by my friend Yvonne over at MyElements in York, PA. I met Yvonne this past summer at a button fair.. I absolutely love everything she makes!


Now, you might think this would be enough "orange" in my life.. but today I got this great handspun that I ordered from the girls over at Weird and Twisted and when the doorbell rang.. the delivery lady could very well have said "Now, Orange ya glad I didn't say banana??" Because this is what she brought to me:

This beauteous soft, squishy stuff that dreams are made of is earmarked for my little sis.. I hope to make a purse for her out of it!!

So.. that's it for today... Now really... ORANGE ya glad I didn't say banana??

1 commento:

Weird ha detto...

I am happy to hear the yarns arrived safely :-) Thank you for blogging about them and linking to us! I'd love to see a picture of the purse you're going to make!

Enjoy knitting!
Weird